The first truth about brain injury is that it affects the whole person.
Any approach to rehabilitation needs to appreciate this concept and plan a program accordingly. The collective working together of services, processes, and people makes the critical difference in a person's outcome.
The service and methods listed below distinguish RETURN! from standard outpatient programming:
- Hospital-based program: Allows for access to necessary healthcare resources (pathology labs, ER, pharmacy, etc.) to assist in addressing medical issues
- On-site Medical Director: An integral part of our team who attends weekly team meetings, and meets and consults with patients as needed during their stay in the program
- Daily Structure and Group Format: Allows for greater consistency and practical application of learned strategies
- Interdisciplinary Approach: Weekly team meetings ensure a full and coordinated understanding of clients' abilities, needs, and treatment
- Case Management Services: Promotes the proper coordination of services, benefits, and transportation
- Socialization/Group Support: Mutual encouragement and effective interactions with others promote a positive recovery
- Psycho-emotional Counseling for Clients and/or Families: Furthers ability to manage emotional reactivity and poor adjustment before it becomes a crisis
- Pre-Vocational Counseling, Practice, and Planning: Encourages a mindful and planned approach to returning to work
- Brain Injury Education: Empowers people to understand and "own" their recovery to maximize their recovery potential
- Community Outings/Leisure Planning: Allows assessment outside of clinic, practice of effective skills, and increases confidence in social settings
- Discharge Planning: Ensures a smooth transition to community services and prepares clients and families for the "next step"