Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
The B. Stanely Cohen, M.D., Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services at the Sinai Hospital of Baltimore. Residents complete 7 rotations at the Sinai Hospital of Baltimore. Features include:
Comprehensive Inpatient Rehabilitation
- 23-bed comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation unit
- Wide variety of muscoskeletal, cardiac, oncologic, general surgery, and orthopedic patients.
- Residents participate in weekly team conferences, family conferences and didactic activities
Traumatic Brain Injury/Neurological Inpatient Rehabilitation
(The Louis and Phyllis Friedman Neurological Rehabilitation Center)
- 20-bed TBI/Neurological rehabilitation unit
- Residents participate in an intense inpatient rehabilitation experience that involves the management of all aspects of medical and rehabilitation care. Team conferences occur twice a week to track patient progress.
Outpatient Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinic
- Residents work one-on-one with attending physiatrists in a diverse outpatient practice
- Specialty experiences include:
- Lymphedema Clinic
- Orthotics & Prosthetics Clinic
- Spasticity Clinic
The Kennedy Krieger Institute
The Kennedy Krieger Institute provides specialized training in pediatric rehabilitation. It has a pediatric comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation unit, and inpatient and outpatient consultation services and clinics. Residents spend 1 rotation at this site.
The Baltimore Veterans Administration Medical Center
Affiliated with the University of Maryland Medical System, the VAMC emphasizes training in neurologic, rheumatologic and musculoskeletal diagnosis and treatment, and electrodiagnosis. There are also opportunities to work with interventional pain medicine physicians and to work in an acupuncture clinic. Residents spend two rotations at this site.
University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopedic Institute
Kernan Hospital is a rehabilitation and orthopedic surgical center that offers inpatient and outpatient services. Comprehensive acute and chronic inpatient rehabilitation programs in the facility provide care in specialized units including traumatic brain injury, stroke, spinal cord and multiple orthopedic trauma. Outpatient care of orthopedic and rehabilitation disorders, including electrodiagnosis and comprehensive spasticity management, is available. Residents complete 1 rotation on the spinal cord injury unit at Kernan. Residents can also choose to spend additional elective time at this site.
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Residents gain additional experience in electrodiagnosis at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (3-month rotation).
In addition to the preceptor method of teaching utilized in each rotation, there is a mandatory formal didactic component of the educational program. Additionally, residents are sent to a gait and orthotics course, an electrodiagnosis course, and attend other educational programs unique to each rotation.