How to feed your newborn is an important decision each new family must make. At the BirthPlace at Sinai, we support breastfeeding as the best nutrition for all babies.
Breastfeeding provides unique benefits for mother and baby. It creates a special bond and gives your child the best possible start in life.
Here are just some of the many benefits of breastfeeding:
- Breast milk is the ideal food for baby and is the only nutrition needed for the first four to six months of life.
- Breast milk contains the right nutrients in just the right amounts and is more easily digested than any formula.
- Breast milk is always ready at the correct temperature and requires no bottles.
- Breast milk is rich in factors that help fight infection.
- Food allergies are less frequent in infants who are exclusively breastfed.
- Breastfeeding is associated with reduced risk of certain chronic diseases later in the baby’s life.
- Benefits for the mother include increased self-esteem and a decreased risk of osteoporosis, premenopausal breast cancer and ovarian cancer.
Lactation Resource Center
Our Lactation Resource Center offers comprehensive breastfeeding support services before the birth of your baby, while you are in the hospital and after you go home. The staff members of the center are board-certified lactation consultants and experienced perinatal nurses. There is also a free class offered through our Childbirth Education Series to help you prepare for breastfeeding while you are still pregnant. After mother and baby go home, our support continues through follow-up phone calls and outpatient return visits. A complimentary lactation return visit is offered to all mothers who give birth at Sinai.
For more information, please call 410-601-5193.